Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Fur and felt

Lots of work done yesterday. 
Getting the tension set correctly on my Pffaf sewing machine made a big difference. The hour spent picking out the threads from the bobbin shaft was a lesson in patience and humility.
I am now at one with my machine ( I'm sure we will fall out again due to my ineptness but for now we are doing well )
A lot of the process of creating is about thinking time. Mulling the design over and over in your head before you even touch the materials, strange thing is one months thought can go out the window when the hands on designing begins.
I am an intuitive designer , put simply I go with the flow. If it feels right I do it , If I make a mess, I unpick and begin all over again much the wiser and have learned from the mistake.
Finally I am working on the wonderfully soft lamb skins. Beautifully cured and coloured , they are luxury to the touch.
Now I am sure there is a primal response in most of us with regards to the feel of real fur, rather like a cat furling and unfurling it's claws. Some of course are vegetarians of vegans and think it a bit barbaric. All of the skins I use are from animals that have been farmed for the meat industry and the skin is a by product. I look for the best quality I can get to match the luxury of my hand made felt and I have to admit to loving it.
I will include some photos of the new garments. Today has dawned grey but the chirping of the birds is getting me motivated to get on with my real work.

No comments:

Post a Comment